Appendix K of the Wenlin User’s Guide
Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese, FREE Edition
About Wénlín Miǎnfèibǎn, the Wenlin FREE Edition
New in 4.2: This appendix provides an overview of features available in《文林‧免费版》Wénlín Miǎnfèibǎn (the Wenlin FREE Edition).
- 《文林‧免费版》Wénlín Miǎnfèibǎn is the FREE Edition of Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese.
- Get the Wenlin FREE Edition online at the Wenlin Institute Store’s secure website.
- Start learning Chinese today with the Wenlin FREE Edition!
- And learn about all the powerful features of the Wenlin DELUXE Edition!
- The set of Wenlin FREE Features are described in this section of the Wenlin User’s Guide.
- 《文林‧完整版》Wénlín Wánzhěngbǎn is the DELUXE Edition of Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese.
- Get the Wenlin DELUXE Edition online at the Wenlin Institute Store’s secure website.
- And enjoy all the powerful features of the Wenlin DELUXE Edition!
- The complete set of Wenlin DELUXE Features are described in this Wenlin User’s Guide.
Features of Wenlin Mianfeiban
The FREE Edition of Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese includes many of the powerful features of the DELUXE Edition.
Some features of the DELUXE Edition are either limited or absent from the FREE Edition.
We think that once you try Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese and start learning Chinese with Wenlin, you will come to appreciate the power of our software, and decide that this is the best way to take your study of Chinese to the next level.
To demonstrate the power of Wenlin Software for Learning Chinese, Wenlin FREE Edition puts powerful dictionary data, texts, and text processing tools at your fingertips.
Try《文林‧免费版》Wénlín Miǎnfèibǎn (FREE Edition) today, and start learning what Wenlin can do for your knowledge of Chinese!
◇ The Miǎnfèibǎn (FREE Edition) dictionaries include the following vocabulary:
- The dozen most commonly used characters:
- 的, 一, 是, 不, 了, 人, 在, 我, 有, 中, 这, 大.
- The twelve animals for the twelve-year cycle:
- ▷鼠, 牛, 虎, 兔, 龙, 蛇, 马, 羊, 猴, 鸡, 狗, 猪.
- The corresponding English words:
- ▷mouse, cow, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, chicken, dog, pig.
- The numbers and their English counterparts:
- ▷一, 二, 三, 四, 五, 六, 七, 八, 九, 十.
- Miscellaneous additional characters and compound words or phrases,
- especially all of those occurring in the sample text:
- ▷“守株待兔” “The rabbit and the farmer”.
- Use Wenlin’s Dictionary Look-up features on the sample text.
- Use Wenlin’s Instant Look-up feature on the sample text.
- Altogether a total of more than 500 dictionary entries:
- 209 词典 Cídiǎn ‘Chinese-English Word Dictionary’ entries;
- [Note: The Deluxe Edition has more than 200,000 entries.]
- 262 字典 Zìdiǎn ‘Chinese-English Character Dictionary’ entries;
- [Note: The Deluxe Edition has more than 74,000 entries.]
- 30+ 英汉 Yīng-Hàn ‘English-Chinese Word Dictionary’ entries.
- [Note: The Deluxe Edition has more than 62,000 entries.]
The Miǎnfèibǎn (FREE Edition) demonstrates lots of the functionality of the Wenlin DELUXE Edition, including:
- Display over 80,000 Chinese characters: complete Unicode 7.0 Unihan character support.
- Stroke-by-stroke character display of more than 1,000 characters, by clicking on a button like this:
- ▷stroke是 [Note: Miǎnfèibǎn stroke-by-stroke display is limited to a subset of Unihan characters.]
- Input of characters by phonetic conversion (the Convert command).
- Input of characters by handwriting recognition (the Brush tool).
- Phonetic conversion for single characters.
- Phonetic conversion for the compound words/phrases included in the Free Edition's dictionary.
- Fully functional Unicode 7.0 (Unihan, Pinyin, English, etc.) text editor:
- Open, Edit and Save your Chinese and other text files.
- Open and convert among all supported encoding forms:
- Unicode UTFs, GB-18030, Big5+, HZ, Latin1, MacRoman,ASCII